In 1991, Ashford Hospital became South Australia's first private hospital to perform cardiac bypass surgery. Over 30 years later, we remain at the heart of cardiac care in South Australia.
We perform a high number of comprehensive cardiac procedures thanks to almost 30 cardiologists and six cardiothoracic surgeons treating their patients here. We provide integrated cardiac care incorporating diagnostic, therapeutic and procedural services in our two leading edge angiography labs and state of the art dedicated cardiothoracic operating theatre. All our cardiac services are supported by our 55 bed Cardiac Services ward and 24 bed Critical Care Unit.
Our cardiac service includes:
- 24/7 Chest Pain Unit
- 24/7 access to leading Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery Specialists
- Cardiac Services ward
- Medical staff rostered on-site 24/7
- The highest level of private critical care available in South Australia
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs
Expect better when you’re with us. Conveniently located off Anzac Highway and only 4km from the CBD, most patients enjoy the privacy of a single room. You truly are our focus. It's safe to say that you, the patient, are at the heart of everything we do.
If your GP has recommended more complex cardiac care, ask for a referral to one of the state’s leading specialists at Ashford Hospital, the heart of cardiac care in South Australia.
Ashford Hospital is available to assess any acute chest pain or cardiac related symptoms via our Chest Pain Unit, available 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Chest Pain Unit services include:
- Immediate assessment and diagnosis
- Cardiologist on call 24/7
- Cardiac Medical Officer rostered on-site 24/7
- Acute intervention including angiography, angioplasty, cardiac rhythm stabilisation and pacemaker insertion 24/7
- No referral for treatment is required
The Chest Pain Unit is available to assess symptoms including:
- Chest pain
- Tightness / Squeezing
- Shortness of breath
- Dizziness / Syncope
If you are experiencing these symptoms please call an ambulance on ‘000’ and ask for Ashford Hospital.
For any Chest Pain Unit enquiries please phone 08 8375 5205.
Ashford Hospital has two state of the art angiography labs. This technology, together with skilled medical and nursing staff provides 24-hour care for patients requiring cardiac interventions.
The services we provide include:
- Automatic Defibrillator Implantation
- Cardiac Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation and Supraventricular Tachycardia
- Coronary Angiography
- Coronary Angioplasty, Rotablation and Stenting
- Electrophysiological Studies
- Myocardial biopsy
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) Closure
- Percutaneous Atrial Septal Defect Closure
- Right Heart Catheterisation (RHC)
- Three-Dimensional Mapping of Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Vascular procedures
This program is designed for patients to learn more about their heart and exercise in a friendly and supportive environment. The program, conducted by our professional cardiac rehabilitation team, focuses on identifying and modifying risk factors for heart disease, including specific diet and exercise advice.
The program includes sessions with our professional team of staff, including:
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Coordinator
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Diabetic Educator
For further information or to book into this program, please contact Ashford Hospital on 08 8375 5222 and ask for the Cardiac Rehabilitation Coordinator.
Please note, an exercise class has been designed to incorporate and follow social distancing and SA Health guidelines.
Most private health funds currently cover the cost of this program.
Cardiac Services is our dedicated 55 bed ward, specifically designed to provide highly specialised care to patients with acute cardiac illnesses or pre and post cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery and vascular procedures.
The facilities include state of the art cardiac and telemetry monitoring systems.
The staff are trained to provide high level cardiac care, and are able to assist your specialist with procedures including:
- Transoesphageal Echocardiogram
- Thoracic interventions
- Exercise Stress Testing (EST) and Exercise Stress Echocardiogram (ESE)
- Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram (DSE)
- Access to Cardiac MRI and Cardiac CT
Cardiac Services is open for admission 24 hours per day, seven days per week via our Chest Pain Unit.
Ashford Hospital has a dedicated cardiac operating theatre with state of the art facilities and a highly skilled theatre team including leading cardiothoracic surgeons, cardiac anaesthetists, perfusionists and nursing staff.
All cardiothoracic surgery procedures can be undertaken at Ashford Hospital including:
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Mitral Valve Repair or Replacement
- Aortic Root Replacement
- Video Assisted Thoracotomy