In 1991, Ashford Hospital became South Australia's first private hospital to perform cardiac bypass surgery. Over 30 years later, we remain at the forefront of cardiac care. We devote a large part of our hospital to patients with cardiac conditions and are well equipped with a dedicated cardiac operating theatre, two angiography suites and the highest level of private critical care available in South Australia.
Our cardiac service includes:
- 24/7 Chest Pain Unit
- 24/7 access to leading Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery Specialists
- 24/7 access to our two angiography suites
- Medical staff rostered on-site 24/7
- The highest level of private critical care available in South Australia
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs
Ashford Hospital is available to assess any acute chest pain or cardiac related symptoms via our Chest Pain Unit, available 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Chest Pain Unit services include:
- Immediate assessment and diagnosis
- Cardiologist on call 24/7
- Cardiac Medical Officer rostered on-site 24/7
- Acute intervention including angiography, angioplasty, cardiac rhythm stabilisation and pacemaker insertion 24/7
- No referral for treatment is required
The Chest Pain Unit is available to assess symptoms including:
- Chest pain
- Tightness / Squeezing
- Shortness of breath
- Dizziness / Syncope
If you are experiencing these symptoms please call an ambulance on ‘000’ and ask for Ashford Hospital.
For any Chest Pain Unit enquiries please phone 08 8375 5205.
Ashford Hospital has two state of the art angiography suites. This technology, together with skilled medical and nursing staff provides 24 hour care for patients requiring cardiac interventions.
The services we provide include:
- Cardiac Ablation
- Coronary Angioplasty and Stents
- Electrophysiological Studies
- Three-Dimensional Mapping of Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Vascular procedures
This program is designed for patients to learn more about their heart and exercise in a friendly and supportive environment. The program, conducted by our professional cardiac rehabilitation team, focuses on identifying and modifying risk factors for heart disease, including specific diet and exercise advice.
The program includes sessions with our professional team of staff, including:
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Coordinator
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Diabetic Educator
For further information or to book into this program, please contact Ashford Hospital on 08 8375 5222 and ask for the Cardiac Rehabilitation Coordinator.
Please note, an exercise classhas been designed to incorporate and follow social distancing and SA Healthguidelines.
Most private health funds currently cover the cost of this program.
Ashford Hospital became the first private hospital in South Australia to perform cardiac bypass surgery. Over 30 years later, Ashford Hospital remains at the forefront of cardiac care.
Ashford Hospital has a dedicated cardiac operating theatre with state of the art facilities and a highly skilled theatre team including leading cardiothoracic surgeons, cardiac anaesthetists, perfusionists and nursing staff.
All cardiothoracic surgery procedures can be undertaken at Ashford Hospital including:
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Mitral Valve Repair or Replacement
- Aortic Root Replacement
- Video Assisted Thoracotomy
Cardiac Services is our dedicated ward, specifically designed to provide highly specialised care to patients with acute cardiac illnesses or pre and post cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery and vascular procedures.
The facilities include state of the art cardiac and telemetry monitoring systems.
The staff are trained to provide high level cardiac care, and are able to assist your specialist with procedures including:
- Transoesphageal Echocardiogram
- Thoracic interventions
- Exercise Stress Testing (EST) and Exercise Stress Echocardiogram (ESE)
- Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram (DSE)
- Access to Cardiac MRI and Cardiac CT
Cardiac Services is open for admission 24 hours per day, seven days per week via our Chest Pain Unit.