Ashford Hospital has a highly skilled Allied Health team available to provide patients support as required. The services include:
- Dietetics & Nutrition
- Speech Pathology
Referrals to these services can be made in consultation with your Doctor.
Dietetics & Nutrition
Our team of Dietitians at Ashford Hospital have a wealth of knowledge and experience to meet your specific dietary requirements. Our team service all areas with specialised care in:
- Geriatric medicine
- Gastrointestinal Medical and Surgical Specialties
- Bariatric Surgery
- Cardiac Medical and Surgical Specialties
- Women’s Health
Our Dietitians provide:
- Individualised nutritional assessment, education and counselling
- Ordering of special diets and enteral nutrition
- Discharge planning support including equipment hire, registrations and referrals where applicable
- Group education sessions
- Education of organisation staff and consultation with other professionals on nutrition related issues
- Development of nutrition support resources and policies
- Development and review of the hospital food service system
Ashford Hospital has a highly skilled team of Physiotherapists available toprovide patients with support as required. Our Physiotherapists service all areas, with specialised care provided in:
- Cardiothoracic Surgery & Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Critical Care
- Medical/ Surgical/ Geriatrics
- Women’s Health/ Postnatal
Our Physiotherapists also provide patients with education and other assistance, including:
- Equipment purchase, hire and walking aid prescription
- Referrals to outpatient services
- Home exercise programs and safety recommendations for discharge
- Advice regarding return to normal activity/ work
Our Speech Pathology team provide assessment, diagnosis and management of swallowing and communication difficulties (including speech, language, voice and cognition).
Swallowing and communication difficulties can occur in the following patient populations:
- Geriatric population
- Head and neck cancer
- Degenerative diseases
- Respiratory disorders
- Neurological injuries (stroke)
Our Speech Pathologists provide:
- Assessment and diagnosis of disorders of swallowing and communication
- Provision of a management plan
- Education and counselling to family and carers
- Referral to other services/healthcare professional where indicated
Other Allied Health Services
Other Allied Health services that are available as required for Ashford Hospital inpatients include:
- Occupational Therapy
- Social Work
Our aim is to make patient discharge a smooth process. When admitted to Ashford Hospital, your discharge needs will be discussed with you and your family / carer. Please let your Nurse know if you require additional support as there are Case Managers available who are able to assist in the process.
You may require equipment to aid your mobility and recovery when you discharge home, such as crutches, foot stools and toilet seat raisers. Ashford Hospital does not provide this equipment, however it can be arranged for private hire. Please ask the nursing staff to assist you with this process.
All people, irrespective of religious faith or cultural background have pastoral and spiritual needs. Illness or other traumas in life can be stressful and at these times the help of others may be valuable. Family members and friends are often an important support, but sometimes the presence of a person who is independent of the situation can be helpful.
Our pastoral care team is available to be a listening presence if you would like to talk through what is happening for you or can offer prayer and traditional faith support if that is appropriate to your needs.
Rev Liz Dyson is located at Ashford Hospital and can be contacted on 08 8375 5953.
Clinical Pastoral Education
Ashford Hospital is an accredited centre for training in Clinical Pastoral Education; please contact Rev Liz Dyson on 08 8375 5953 for more information.
Ashford Hospital offers an inpatient and outpatient Diabetes Service, coordinated by a credentialed Diabetes Educator.
Inpatient care involves education of newly diagnosed patients, those admitted with diabetes related illness and/or patients changing treatment regimes.
For further information on this service please phone 08 8375 5222 and ask to speak to our Diabetes Educator.
An interpreter service can be arranged when necessary. Please ask the nursing staff to arrange an interpreter for you. Charges may apply.
Ashford Hospital has a highly skilled Wound, Ostomy and Continence Manager available to assist patients and our staff as required.
This service includes the management of patients with complex wounds, new stomas or continence issues. The role complements the care provided by our nursing and Allied Health teams to provide a holistic service to our patients.