Graduate Nurse Program
Applications for the 2023 Graduate Nurse Program will be open from Friday 1 July 2022 until Sunday 31 July 2022.
Ashford Hospital has a Graduate Nurse Program which is designed to assist Graduate Nurses in their Transition to Professional Practice. This program is available to newly registered, Registered and Enrolled Nurses and it aims to:
- Assist and provide support to Graduates in their initial transition from Student to practicing novice Nurse.
- Assist the Graduate in consolidating their knowledge, clinical practice, leadership, communication and teamwork skills in a supportive and flexible learning environment that is responsive to their needs
Assessment is based on the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council (ANMC) Competency Standards.
Objective of Ashford Hospital Graduate Nurse Program
At the completion of the program, the Graduate will have consolidated their knowledge and met their responsibilities as a first level practitioner and be ready to move on to the advanced beginner level of knowledge & skill.
About the Graduate Nurse Program
Ashford Hospital’s Graduate Nurse Program is a 46-week clinical program based on full time employment, commencing in February each year. Mid-year intakes or employment outside of this identified time frame may be considered on an individual and workplace need basis.
The Graduate Nurse Program includes:
- Hospital & program orientation
- Unit orientation for each clinical rotation
- Professional development study days with a strong clinical focus
- Access to an online professional development education tool
- Varying clinical experiences with unit rotations based on staffing requirements
The Graduate Nurse Program provides support to Graduate Nurses in the form of:
- On-site Graduate Nurse Coordinator, Clinical Educators, Clinical Managers and Clinical Nurses / Preceptors
- Ongoing peer support from Nurses working in the clinical areas
- Formal - performance appraisals
- Informal - ongoing verbal feedback
Ward Based & Perioperative Programs
The Ward Based Program includes 2 x 6 month rotations to various areas within the hospital (ie. Medical, Surgical, Oncology, Cardiac, Emergency, Angiography, and Critical Care – placements depend on staffing requirements).
Graduates who select the Perioperative option will work in the Perioperative area and may work in one or several areas throughout the year. This may include Theatre (Scrub / Scout), Endoscopy, Anaesthetics, Recovery and Day Ward. Perioperative experience during your nursing studies is an essential prerequisite for applicants.
The number of Graduate positions offered each year will be dependent on the staffing requirements. All positions are permanent contracts and may be offered as part time (0.8 and 0.9 FTE) and full time positions.
How to apply
ALL applications, addressed to the GNP Coordinator, are to be submitted online via Ashford Hospital Website – Careers / GNP here.
Enquiries to email@example.com
Applications to include:
- Cover letter
- Referees - 2 x 3rd yr. clinical referees and x1 current employee referee
- Copy of course transcript
- Copy of 2 most recent clinical placement reports
- Identification of which program application refers to
All vacancies are advertised on our current positions page.