Graduate Nurse Program
Ashford Hospital has a Graduate Nurse Program which is designed to assist Graduate Nurses and Midwives in their Transition to Professional Practice. This program is available to newly registered Enrolled Nurses, Registered Nurses and Midwives and it aims to:
- Assist and provide support to Graduates in their initial transition from Student to practicing novice Nurse / Midwife.
- Assist the Graduate in consolidating their knowledge, clinical practice, leadership, communication and teamwork skills in a supportive and flexible learning environment that is responsive to their needs
Assessment is based on the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council (ANMC) Competency Standards.
Objective of Ashford Hospital Graduate Nurse Program
At the completion of the program, the Graduate will have consolidated their knowledge and met their responsibilities as a first level practitioner and be ready to move on to the advanced beginner level of competence.
About the Graduate Nurse Program
Ashford Hospital’s Graduate Nurse Program is a 46 week clinical program based on full time employment, commencing in February each year. Mid-year intakes or employment outside of this identified time frame may be considered on an individual and workplace need basis.
The Graduate Nurse Program includes:
- Hospital & program orientation
- Unit orientation for each clinical rotation
- Professional development study days with a strong clinical focus
- Access to an online professional development education tool
- Varying clinical experiences with unit rotations based on staffing requirements
The Graduate Nurse Program provides support to Graduate Nurses in the form of:
- On-site Graduate Nurse Coordinator, Clinical Educators and Clinical Managers
- Ongoing peer support from Nurses working in the clinical areas
- Formal - performance appraisals
- Informal - ongoing verbal feedback
Graduates who select this option will work in the Perioperative area and may work in one or several areas throughout the year. This may include Theatre (Scrub / Scout), Endoscopy, Anaesthetics, Recovery and Day Ward). Perioperative experience during your nursing studies is an essential prerequisite for applicants.
Graduates who select this option may rotate through varying clinical areas. Graduate placements will be based on the Graduate’s areas of interest and the staff vacancies in the areas.
Clinical Areas may include:
- Acute Cardiac
- Cardiac Surgical
- Critical Care
- Gynaecology, General Surgery, Vascular Surgery
- Maternity (Graduate Midwives only)
- Oncology / Palliative Care
- Orthopaedic Surgery / Urology
The number of Graduate positions offered each year will be dependent on the staffing requirements. All positions are one year contracts and may be offered as part time (0.8 and 0.9 FTE) and full time positions.
For further information on applying for a Graduate Nurse Position at Ashford Hospital click here.